October Flash Fiction

It's that time of year where I write a Halloween themed flash fiction that gets displayed in my local library.  Enjoy!




Slow Burn

IE Castellano



The convergence has begun, Mister Rank Ore. All is prepared. Come. I’d be honored if you joined me for the ritual.
I have kept the hairs pristine and in their original condition. Even added one from that harpy shrieking on her phone who cut in front of me in the checkout lane the other day. Yes, of course, I know I complained your ear off all about her already.
Oh, you remember that neighbor of ours a few years ago? The one who couldn’t be bothered to keep her ratty mutt out of our rose bushes. Well, I have her hair here. Too bad that mongrel predeceased her.
Anyway, Mister Rank Ore, this one is from that man who constantly clucked his tongue through four consecutive bus stops. Yes, it was quite annoying. Not to mention the he ignored my irate stare.
This dark hair here is long before your time, Mister Rank Ore. When I was a young girl, he courted me. We were going to marry. I already chose my dress and which flowers would grace my bouquet. He, well, he’ll be sorry for leaving me.
How fitting that this long, strawberry blonde strand should be twisted with his. It’s the last of hers remaining. She’ll get the final lesson about stealing what should have been mine.
The effigy looks beautiful with all its colors and textures. Don’t you agree, Mister Rank Ore? I’ve been curating my collection for some time, waiting for this exact celestial alignment.
Can you hear the chimes? It’s time to light the fire bowls. Now, I soak the effigy in the chalice. Why, yes, Mister Rank Ore, that is my blood. I saved it in the freezer.
Of course, when I do something, I do it properly. You know me so well.
Stand back while I lower the candle to the offering plate. Watch the smoke rise to deliver my vengeance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning from a Book Review

A Little Bit of Hope with a Side of Griffin

Iceland in Winter: What to Pack: Clothing