Dark and Light

Thanksgiving has passed. I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was a delicious blend of golden roasted turkey, sausage stuffing, sautéed green beans with bacon, cranberry mold, and cranberry relish.

In the week that followed, I got some shopping done. Leftovers morphed into green bean and stuffing frittata and turkey chowder (even using the leftover gravy). The Christmas decorations have emerged from their slumber.

Slowly but surely, the outside of my house gets greener. Small trees adorn my wrap around porch and my stained glass door. A large green wreath contrasts beautifully with the plain red brick of the 70s style addition. This year we added gold bows and ribbon to the lighted wreath.

Soon, a wreath and matching garland will join the pot of white silk poinsettias at the front door. Along with the lighted old yew hedges, they will brighten the dark night as well as our spirits.

Brightening our spirits in the dark times is what all the lights and decorations do for us. December in my northern climate promises cold days and even colder dark nights. My neighbors’ and my month long lights remind us that even though cold and dark days lie ahead, warmth and radiance can be found if we just know where to look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning from a Book Review

A Little Bit of Hope with a Side of Griffin

Iceland in Winter: What to Pack: Clothing