A Letter Home

Characterization exercise for my work-in-progress space opera, Where Pirates Go to Die.

Mom,

I don't know if you'll ever read this.  Had to write anyway.  Seems like something a good son should do.

I'm sure you're wondering how good of a son I actually am.  I know I disappointed you and Dad, and for that I am terribly sorry.

You never got to hear my side of the story.  The one where I claim my innocence.  Flyers ripped me from the interplanetary transport.  Without warning was the way they wanted it.

They wouldn't let me correspond while I was incarcerated.  Not that being on this ship is any less of a prison.  But, at least I have some sort of future.  It's not the future you and dad wanted for me.  I'll never be able to go back to that life.

There are a lot of things I will never be able to do again.  I have accepted that fact.  That doesn't mean that I don't miss you or my work, however trivial it seems now.

If this reaches you, I hope it reaches you well.  Destiny is taking me another way.  I don't know what I did to deserve this, but perhaps this is what I need to do.

All my love,
Lorne

Comments

  1. So, no lie, I started writing my response, and the first words out were 'Dear Lorne.' I started to draft a reply from his mother, but wasn't sure if you'd think I was making fun of your letter, which I totally wasn't!

    Sometimes my sense of humor doesn't catch on, so maybe in the future when we know each other better then I'll let my snark out to play. ;) Great character, by the way. Definitely want to know more about his unfortunate circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been funny.

      Thanks. Lorne is a mysterious character on a ship full of colorful ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bit of Hope with a Side of Griffin

Learning from a Book Review

Iceland in Winter: What to Pack: Clothing