Digging into Dirk

A monologue from a main character in my upcoming space opera, Where Pirates Go to Die.


Name:  Dirk

Occupation: Bounty Hunter


I know what you’re thinking.  How is it possible to be a Bounty Hunter in this day and age?

DNA tracing just shows where a person has been, not where that person actually is.  Full or partial facial recognition doesn’t give you much unless you know the person’s pattern.  Thermal imaging can’t tell exactly who is there.

All this data that tracks our every move needs interpretation.  Sure, there are algorithms and all this other schmact that I don’t care about to analyze our thoughts and future actions.  However, they can’t do my job.

When a Patrolbot enters a less than reputable den, criminals scatter like cockroaches.  I enter like I’m one of them.  And they always give up information for the right price.

Not everyone is cut out to be a Bounty Hunter.  My connections keep my stick tabs full of lons and my ship flying in every quadrant in the Galaxy.

You think you can do what I do?  Can you stay one step ahead of the Flyers so they don’t “relieve” you of your payment?  Are you prepared to shoot anyone who gets in your way?  Can you step on both sides of the law without being covered in schmact? 

That’s what I thought.  Now, scuttle back to the safety of your perfectly terraformed, Galaxy-run hunk of rock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bit of Hope with a Side of Griffin

Learning from a Book Review

Iceland in Winter: What to Pack: Clothing