A Little South and West of Writing


Palo Duro Canyon, Texas



It’s the third day of my American Southwest Adventure and I’ve done a lot of writing in my mind. That’s a fancy way of saying I’ve written jack squat. However, there was plenty that sparked my imagination.

Tonight, I’m staying in New Mexico and the landscape and dry heat is extremely New Mexico. It is exactly how I pictured or believed New Mexico should be. My mind’s eye could see the man on his horse, surveying the land while the wind whipped, not moving him, try as it might.

Texas surprised me and did not disappoint. Mind you, I’ve only seen Texas via I-40. My first impression of this part of Texas was: Those who write post-apocalyptic stories probably have traveled through here. Amarillo sprawled. The half hour ride to Palo Duro Canyon excited. Then, there was Palo Duro itself. What a gem. Every turn held more and more beauty.

Oklahoma should be five states for how different it is. The Osarks in NE OK and SW Missouri roll in gentle treed waves. And, as we drove through Ohio, I could imagine parts of the lands described in The Crystal Point Legacy fantasy series by Robert Thomas (who happens to live in that part of the country).

What’s next? Many more hours in a car westward. The landscape inspires. The long drives help reconnect me to my series where my characters spend a good portion traveling. All I need now is an evening or two with my writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bit of Hope with a Side of Griffin

Learning from a Book Review

Iceland in Winter: What to Pack: Clothing